Friday, August 20, 2010

my dreadie post

Okay, what I'm about to write on here is just going to be copied from my journal entry that I wrote this afternoon while I was out on my independent Jena adventure! (Ryan had language school today and I didn't, hehe). I have been wanting to talk about my desire to get dreads, soooo here it goes!

Today is Friday and I didn't have to go to school! I went on a long walk into town by myself, saw an elephant, saw a wedding, bought some yarn, took pictures, thought about life, thought about dreads and now I'm here sitting at the river with the warm summer sun on my shoulders.

Dreadies: Why do I want them??? I have been thinking about this a lot lately. I feel like most everyone who has dreads also has this deep spiritual soul story that goes along with them. I don't think I have one of those.

I have always deeply cared about how people see me. Not in a "I need to be popular" sort of way, but I have always seen myself as a sort of people pleaser. I don't necessarily think that that is always a bad thing, but hm... I don't know, sometimes it really wares on me. Most of my family and friends know that I have been thinking about dreads, and let me tell ya... They are not all thrilled about the idea :) But here is the thing, I think they are beautiful and I think they would be beautiful on me... so I think I should get them! I don't mean any of this in a "screw you all!" sort of way, I just need to know that I can feel beautiful and good about myself with out relying on the opinions of others. The only thing that I know I need to take into account is the feelings of my husband and let me tell ya, and am so blessed to have a supportive husband who knows me and loves me no matter what I do with my hair! He's the best! So that's that I think. I have had one little lovely dreadie for a week now, and now I can't wait to get some more!

So, feel free to comment :) If you have questions about me having dreads, go ahead and ask! And yes, I can wash them :)

Can you see my dread?! It's so cute!


8 comments:

  1. do it. i'll be crazy-jealous though. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You go girl. You'll be beautiful with dreads.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Elyse....

    I wanted (one) dread,too. Then I realized you have to shave your hair to get them out. Yikes! But, follow your bliss, my darling.

    ReplyDelete
  4. #1. Jealous.. the one dread is AWESOME..
    #2. I love the nose ring.. I want one..too..
    #3. DO IT.. and you don't have to shave your head afterwards, necessarily.. if you just let them grow out and don't dread them any more.. you just cut them (Though your hair will be short for a little bit) it will still look cute because you are beautiful..

    please can I live vicariously through you?
    Thanks k bye.

    ReplyDelete
  5. yes, yes, yes!! You can totally pull it off! In a similar way, I'm a little jealous that Selah's hair will stay in braids for so long (months, if we do extensions). I think about how freeing it would be to not worry about "doing" my hair every day....I think dreads make a ton of sense for someone wanting to live the Simple Life!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are gorgeous and I think you would look awesome rockin' dreads! Love ya!

    ReplyDelete
  7. wow wow wow. we are like the same person.

    seriously. i have wanted dreads for the longest but i know my parents and/or friends won't approve.

    i mean, wow! everything you said pretty much summarizes me.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dearest Fantanna,

    Just go for it!!!! I love my dreads! I have had them for almost 6 months now! If people dont like them, they'll get over it. And actually, I get tons more positive feedback from people than negative :) Let me know what happens!
    -Elyse

    ReplyDelete