Saturday, November 6, 2010

1 Month Dreadiversary!!!

Wow, it's hard to believe that it's already been a month since I got these crazy things! I also apologize for the fact that it's also been a month since I posted last. If you head over to our Germany blog you can read a little more about what we have been up to- October was a crazy month for sure!


Well having my dreadlocks has been a crazy adventure so far! After preparing myself for dreadlocks by reading about a million different dread stories, I assumed that I would have to be working on my hair everyday, my dreads would probably look super ugly and poofy, and that I would always be thinking about them. None of that has been true for me! I hardly ever work on my hair (I probably should do a little more though...), they're locking up quite nicely, and almost right after I got them I just felt like they were a part of me. I hardly ever think about them being there, they kind of feel like they're just supposed to be there. Hmmmm, okay... maybe these are the types of things you talk about only with other dreadheads or else you end up sounding a little bit insane...


I don't think I'm going for the dirty hippie look or anything- I haven't actually changed my style at all... I just have dreadlocks now! And they're amazing!


I have gotten into the routine of washing my dreadies every Saturday. Through out the week when I take my other showers, I just put my dreads up and wash my bangs. I feel like once a week is good for me now- i'm still hunting for a good shampoo to use on my dreads. Lately I've just been using body wash.... but I don't know if that's the best thing ever. With dreadlocks you're not supposed to use conditioner (obviously) or shampoo that leaves residue. I have read a lot of things debating the importance of the residue free shampoo, but I would rather be safe than sorry! Also, I'm looking to purchase a few little things of some essential oils for some nice scalp soothing/ yummy smelling goodness :) Speaking of scalp soothing.... My head is not actually that itchy or flaky! Sometimes my head gets a little itchy just from always wearing a headband. BUT it's no thang!



Now, I do have to admit that there have been some times when I feel like screaming at them!!! They're sometimes super fuzzy and I have some loose hairs that never really want to stay in. I have a crochet hook that I'm supposed to use to control the beast, but it really just takes way too long :)

These next couple pictures are some that I took last night. As you can see I am still being my crafty self even all the way in Germany! I made these wool felted flowers- PERFECT for dreadie decoration!

SO... all of these pictures in this blog post are posted in chrnological order (except for the first one) so you can see.. or maybe not see how my dreads have changed over the last four weeks. Okay... I know you can't really tell from the pics that they look much different now... but they really are tightening and locking up very well! I love my hair and I do plan on keeping them for quite some time! Years and years hopefully!

If you have any questions PLEASE feel free to ask! If you always heard something weird or gross about dreadlocks, just ask me about it and I'm sure I can clarify and debunk some of these awful dreadlock myths.




YAY! I've loved this first month of dreadies! Can't wait for the many months to follow! Again, feel free to ask questions!

7 comments:

  1. They look AMAZING!!! It's nice that you've still got your bangs to work with...how did you decide how much to lock and what to leave down?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Gretchen! Yeah, I like having my bangs out :) I think that if I had tried to dread them, they would have turned out to be a stumpy little horn on my forehead anyway haha! I just told the dread makers to leave them out and that what I got! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. i think your dreads are so so so awesome!!! they seem to go very nicely with your personality!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. alrighty i have a few questions...

    1. where did you get them done?

    2. which way do you prefer to maintain yours?

    3. how long did it take for you/everyone close to you to get used to them? did your family/friends react positively to them at first?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fantanna, thanks for the questions!

    1. I had a cute college age couple do them for me. I was living in Germany, so it might be a bit hard for you to go through them ;) It you have any friends who have dreads, beg them to do yours! OR, if you live in a super awesome place maybe you could find a hair salon that does dreadlocks!

    2. I like to use my crochet hook about once a month to get my roots under control. Since I'm coming up on six months, I'm trying to look for more of a professional to some hardcore maintenance. Other than the hook, I sometime palm roll when I'm watching TV or something as well.

    3. Well, since I got them done when I was living out of country, people kind of looked at pics and got used to it that way and then when I came home, it wasn't such a huge surprise. Everyone asked their questions, made some jokes and poked around a bit.... and then they were done :) My family never says anything about them anymore- they're just a part of me now. And I still have friends and strangers coming up to me and telling me that They have always wanted dreads, that they love dreads.... so on and so on. Sometimes older people say their side remarks, but I let it just roll off my back :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Heart Felt,

    I LOVE your blog, btw. You have inspired me to start blogging more, yet again;)

    As for the dreads, I believe I am going to go for it, but the natural way. I'm thinking about getting some Dr. Bronner's soap and just letting them lock up however they choose.

    Thank you for your answers! As for number 1 and 3, I live in Mississippi, and it would definitely be a new thing for anyone around here to see. I'm also a preacher's kid and I feel like people look at me differently, ya know? It's completely unfair, and I don't like the fact that they do, but it is what it is.

    Your dreads are b-e-a-utiful, btw:)
    Thanks for everything!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Natural method will get you dreads in maybe a year or so, takes a lot of patience!

    Now I live in central Illinois, so yeah.... Not many dreaded people here either :)

    And I am a missionary and a worship minister's wife, so I have kinda that same thing going! People really shouldn't care. I always say that Jesus probably had a few dreads ;-)

    Thanks for the complements! And btw- I use a different blog now primarily. Be sure to check it out! It's www.heartfeltaccessories.blogspot.com

    blessings to you and your journey!

    ReplyDelete